The Link is a company that provides pathways to identify and use one’s inherent talents, opening doors to help business and individuals clarify their VISION. It is a safe place to cultivate an influential VOICE. And it provides access to a COMMUNITY of renowned experts, peers and mentors.


Friday, February 19, 2016

For 25 years, I was an executive in big corporations. I “managed” 10 people when I was 22 and 250 when I was 33 years old. “Leadership” was not emphasized(and I worked for  2 GREAT companies!) and I have spent the last 12 years trying to uncover the secrets of good leadership. The books available to me were just not answering the questions for me. Clearly, there is still a lack of great books out there. Check out this article by McKinsey & Co Getting beyond the BS of leadership literature
http://www.mckinsey.com/global-themes/leadership/getting-beyond-the-bs-of-leadership-literature?cid=other-eml-alt-mkq-mck-oth-1602

Here’s what I took from the opening remarks of the article…

Leaders aren’t doing a good job for themselves or their workplaces, and things don’t seem to be improving.
1. Few people trust their leaders, according to the Edelman Trust Barometer surveys, among others.
2. There are low levels of employee engagement worldwide,  according to Gallup data.
3. Job satisfaction at a low ebb and executive tenures are decreasing according to the Conference Board.
4. Other research consistently indicates that companies give their own leadership-development efforts low marks.

I found that a LEADER = A PERSON that leads PEOPLE to a PURPOSE. If one of those 3 “P”s are out of whack, there is dysfunction.

One of my favorite authors is Judith Glaser http://www.creatingwe.com/

Have YOU found a book that worked for you?

No comments: